Thursday, October 9, 2014

31 Days of Adventure - Modern Day Treasure Hunting.

I am joining the Nester's 31 Days of Writing.  Check out my entire series - "31 Days of Adventure."

One of my favorite parts of any adventure is the chance to do treasure hunting. My current favorite of course is geocaching. But I think there are several categories of modern day treasure hunting.


Geocaching - Geocaching is a real-world, outdoor treasure hunting game using GPS-enabled devices. Participants navigate to a specific set of GPS coordinates and then attempt to find the geocache (container} hidden at that location. All the details and much more can be found at Geocaching.com. Check out my series post Finding Tupperware with Million Dollar Satellites.
Finding a geocache
Kevin and Charlie

Letterboxing - Letterboxing is an intriguing pastime combining navigational skills and rubber stamp artistry in a charming "treasure hunt" style outdoor quest. A wide variety of adventures can be found to suit all ages and experience levels. Many people start letterboxing and then move on to Geocaching. Letterboxing compared to geocaching is very low tech. There are 2 different websites to access Letterboxing - Atlas Quest  and Letterboxing North America
Beaver Stamp found in Squire Lake Letterbox
near Bellingham WA

Munzee - Munzee is the next generation in global scavenger hunt games. Simply download the free app, scan the munzees you find, and score points. Munzees are basically QR codes that you scan. These seem to be found in more urban areas.


Thrifting/Yard Sales - Many people are avid treasure hunters at local garage sales and thrift store. I once found a pie bird at Salvation Army Thrift Store for a great bargain. It was marked 99 cents but discounted to 49 cents. These usually go for 20 to 30 dollars. I love the thrill of the search.


Where else can you find a Jumbo Leotard?

Hunting for Sea Glass- For most of my adult life, I have lived near the ocean. I enjoy looking for sea glass.  I have a small collection. Here is a post about one of our adventures hunting for sea glass


Are you a modern day treasure hunter too?

No comments:

Post a Comment