Friday, October 12, 2012

31 Days of Little Things - Cookie Baking Tips

Some people are cooks and some people are bakers.  I feel I am a baker.  I like to bake.  Blame it all on my Mom, she made us bake growing up.  Thanks Mom! I have found a couple of tools that make baking cookies easier.  I use a Silpat mat, silicone mat.  This mat is worth every penny I paid for it. Even when you forget your timer and over bake your cookies, you still can get those puppies off the mat.  In fact, they were moist and chewy. Yes, I had a whole sheet I over baked this week because I forgot the timer. The picture doesn't do it justice but these cookies were Burnt with a capital B.
burnt cookies
 I also use a cookie scoop also know as an ice cream scoop.  This turns the cookies out in a uniform size and shape. 
cookie scoop
This is my go to cookie recipe.  I got it off a blog that no longer exists.  I call these cookies "The World's Best Cookie"
World's Best Cookie

World's Best Cookie

1/2 cup butter, softened
1/2 cup Shortening
1 cup White Sugar
2 Cups Brown Sugar
4 eggs
2 tsp Vanilla

4 1/2 Cups Flour
2 tsp Baking Soda
1 tsp Salt
1 Cup of Chocolate Chips
1 Cup of Butterscotch Chips (very important, just not the same without them)

Nuts optional

Mix the first 6 ingredients together, then slowly incorporate the dry ingredients and fold in the chips and bake @ 375 degree for 8-11 minutes depending on whether you like a soft chewy cookie or a crisp one.

This makes a large amount of cookies.  I often freeze half the dough and bake the other half later.  Life as Mom at Good Cheap Eats had some examples on how to do that.

 This is a little thing I do to make baking cookies easier. The Nester is once again doing 31 days of blogging. Check out what others are writing about for 31 days. I joining Nester with my own 31 days of Little Things. Little things that inspire, motivate, and help me get through my busy life.

No comments:

Post a Comment