Monday, June 24, 2013

Booking It 2013 - June

I am linking up with Life as Mom Booking it 2013. Check out what everyone is reading.

I read  A Lady Cyclist's Guide to Kashgar by Suzanne Joinson.  I actually read it in one day.  It has an intriguing story that kept me reading.  Subjects such as homosexuality and adultery are touched on in this book so if that makes you uncomfortable this book is not for you.

I also read two fiction books about son's accused of murder with completely different endings.

Defending Jacob by William Landay.  This book is getting a lot of buzz. This book is about the son of the assistant district attorney who is being tried for murder.  The book explores whether there is a genetic gene that links one for violence.  Also how far a parent will go to protect their child.  I really disliked the mother in this book to be honest. There was a couple parts in the book that I was yelling at her.  A part of me just wanted to shake her. It was an interesting read.

House Rules by Jodi Picoult. In this book a boy with aspergers is accused of murdering his social skills tutor.  I love how each character gets to tell the story.  I don't always agree with all the generalizations about aspergers but in general a lot is spot on - black and white thinking and ruling following.  It made me realize how much my neural typical son has to give up and the line I have to walk between accommodating my other son without unintentionally punishing my other son. It also brought up how crazy all this accommodating looks to the outside world. On top of that, it brought up how selfish and self centered aspergers can be.  I hadn't really ever seen that way. I don't think it is selfish but it is definitely self centered. That is heavy stuff. It was an excellent read.

No comments:

Post a Comment