Thursday, October 24, 2019

Googling My Way Through Life - Beth Moore and Lighting up the Internet

Oh a controversy always has me googling. For many years, I have attended a bible study that has used Beth Moore bible studies for years.  Beth Moore is perhaps the most recognizable woman of faith. So when she was dismissed/attacked by John MacArthur, Evangelical Pastor. He basically said "Go Home", YouTube link here.The internet lit up.

Article about the controversy

The first of I heard on it was Jen Hatmaker another bible teacher, podcaster, fighter mentioned it.
Sarah Bessey, preacher,  wrote a passionate essay about it. (See her field notes)

I loved Beth Moore's tweet


My personal take on all of this. John MacArthur came after the wrong person. I consider Beth Moore a biblical scholar. I would also consider her perhaps one of the more conservative bible study teachers in comparison to a Jen Hatmaker. Chances are if you are a woman in a main stream church you have done a Beth Moore Bible Study. I am pretty sure angered anyone who ever done a Beth Moore bible study.

John MacArthur comments make him sound afraid of Beth Moore and afraid of women. The church has a big enough tent to include everyone. The church should be inclusive. Jesus actively sought out the disenfranchised and those on the fringes. Being male doesn't qualify you alone to preach. I pretty sure Beth Moore doesn't consider herself a preacher but a teacher if you are hung up on that. However, I believe anyone could be called by God to deliver his message that includes anyone of any gender.

Beth Moore studies taught me to really study the bible in a thoughtful way and how to apply the bible to my life.  It saddens me that John Macarthur wants to discredit just Beth Moore but any woman that feels calls to preach or teach.

Check out my entire series

No comments:

Post a Comment