Thursday, April 16, 2020

Daily Roll 4.16.20 Sour Dough FLOP Edition

Okay the internet is full of everyone making their own sourdough starter and making sourdough. I caved and I am giving it a shot. Is it quarantine peer pressure? Does this count as Chemistry for my youngest? My family loves sourdough bread. I have been splurging the last couple of month and buying sourdough at the grocery store. 

My previous attempt at sourdough No cute pizza guy to hold my hand this time.


Method I am using to make my starter is from I am Homesteader


On Day 3 of my starter, I saved my discarded starter and made waffles on Day 4.  Sourdough Waffles

WHERE IT ALL WENT WRONG

I started feeding my starter with all purpose flour just the store brand. I was using whole wheat flour Bob's Red Mill Whole Wheat at the beginning. I still had bubbles but no rise. I think that is where I went wrong. I kept feeding to the 7th day but the starter didn't pass the float test.

OTHER INTERESTING SOURDOUGH LINKS

King Arthur Sourdough Starter Method

Good Cheap Eats and her sourdough method

Man Bakes Sour Dough from 4500 year old Egyptian Yeast

BOOKS ABOUT SOURDOUGH (non cookbook reads)

52 Loaves by William Alexander (my review) Non-fiction This is a great book about William's quest for the perfect loaf

Sourdough, or Lois and her Adventures in the Underground Market by Robin Sloan (my reviewFiction This is a crazy quirky book.

END OF THE ROLL

Sourdough Backlash - I started with flour I had on. I have seen flour not the really high quality flour at the grocery store. I totally get the backlash. However we (Americans) waste food all the time and on the scale of waste. It isn't much in the scheme of things.  I used a recipe used less flour to begin with. I learned a lot. Will I give making a wild yeast starter a go again? - maybe.

No comments:

Post a Comment