Saturday, December 15, 2018

Booking It December

I seem to read in procrastination of doing all the other things I should be doing.  Anyone else do that?  I am linking up with the Modern Mrs Darcy's Quick Lit. Check out what everyone else is reading too.


The Home for Unwanted Girls by Joanna Goodman  -This book is actually based on historical events.  In Canada orphanages were turned into mental institutions. The setting is 1950's Quebec. I thought this was interesting and compelling story but graphic in some places.


Sourdough or, Lois and Her Adventures in the Underground Market by Robin Sloan. This is a quirky book and I enjoyed it.  Lois a tech company employee is left some sourdough starter by two brothers who run a hole in the wall delivery restaurant. Lois has many adventures learning to make sourdough and life that the starter takes on. Robin Sloan also wrote Mr Penumbra's 24 hour Bookstore.You really should read this while eating sourdough bread. It made me want to try making sourdough again. You can read about my previous sourdough adventures here. The non fiction book 52 Loaves -A Half Baked Adventure by William Alexander would make an interesting book flight


Where the Crawdads Sing by Delia Owens was one of Reese Witherspoon's book club picks.  Kya is raised in the swamp and as a young girl is abandoned there as well. Kya grows to love the marshland. A man is found marshland dead suspicion turns to Kya. This had a twist ending.  It was a lovely book and a quick read. I would consider this one of my top reads of 2018.

1 comment:

  1. I read Where The Crawdads Sing this month and it was one of my favorites, too! Also, I didn't know Sourdough had a subtitle!

    ReplyDelete