Friday, August 25, 2023

How does my Garden Grow Update




This year has been a learning experience as it was the first time, I have had a garden here in New Mexico. Our yard is very unfinished, and I have referred to it as tragic. I have started to add some structure to the yard. I planted some lavender, Texas sage and butterfly bush.  It is a very much a work in progress. Everything I have grown is in containers.

 I moved my container of dahlias, and they really took off. The area I moved them to has afternoon shade and our sprinklers hit them in the early mornings.  I wrote here about growing dahlias in high heat. Below is one of my favorite dahlia pictures.

My teddy bear sunflowers are doing well also.  I love how soft they look.


Below are my Floret Sahara Black Eye Susan's.  I wasn't able to order these seeds this time during Floret's seed sale, but I did order some other varieties. This is a keeper in this location. The vine in the picture is Thunbergia which is a Black-Eyed Susan Vine.  I did like this combo. It was a little wild.


I bought some Zinna starts early in the season for my porch and then sowed some Zinna seeds. They are really leggy. I would like to grow Zinnas again not for my front porch. They got extremely leggy.




I did like geraniums on my porch. Though they did seem to get a bit sunburned.  They were discount ones from Walmart.  I also bought a discount succulent basket. The bear was a thrift find.


I spent talking time talking to my best friend about future garden plans.  I got ideas.  I will grow some more dahlias and will grow them on this side of the shop.  Lots of lessons learned because of the high heat. When I close out the garden I plan on posting on some things I would like to grow next year.

No comments:

Post a Comment