Monday, November 12, 2012

Booking It November

I am linking up with Life as Mom and her booking it party. I think I am still in a book glut.  There is just so much good stuff to read out there.

The first book I read this month was called My Abandonment by Peter Rock.  I got the suggestion to read this from a list I think that was called little known page turners.  This did not disappoint in this aspect.  My Abandonment is fictional story about a true story of a father and daughter who live for 4 years in Forest Park in Portland OR and their later discovery.  The author theorizes what happens after their discovery. I am not sure it was the ending I would of chosen. However, this story is so riveting.

Secondly, I read a book recommendation I found in a 31 day Series at Life with Ike .  It is called American Heiress by Daisy Goodwin. It was a hard one to put down too. It is a romance novel at it's essence but it is a good story.

Recently, I have read a couple books that were compelling but were dark, shocking, extremely twisted.   These books are usually not my cup of tea but these were page turners. Sharp Objects by Gillian Flynn falls in this category.  I am still on the wait list for her latest best seller Gone Girl. The other I read a couple of months ago was Ed King by David Guterson of well known fame for his Snow Falling on Cedars.  Snow Falling on Cedars is Whatcom County Reads for 2013.  Ed King was quite the twisted tale and not a read for the faint of heart. It is a haunting read.

Lastly, I read to very different books - Await Your Reply  by Dan Chaon and The Story of Beautiful Girl by Rachel Simon. Await Your Reply was also from the list called little known page turners. It was a page turner for me. I however though The Story of Beautiful Girl was a great read. Amazon gives a pretty summary:
It is 1968. Lynnie, a young white woman with a developmental disability, and Homan, an African American deaf man, are locked away in an institution, the School for the Incurable and Feebleminded, and have been left to languish, forgotten. Deeply in love, they escape, and find refuge in the farmhouse of Martha, a retired schoolteacher and widow. But the couple is not alone-Lynnie has just given birth to a baby girl. When the authorities catch up to them that same night, Homan escapes into the darkness, and Lynnie is caught. But before she is forced back into the institution, she whispers two words to Martha: "Hide her." And so begins the 40-year epic journey of Lynnie, Homan, Martha, and baby Julia-lives divided by seemingly insurmountable obstacles, yet drawn together by a secret pact and extraordinary love.

The author Rachel Simon also wrote the true story about her sister called , Riding Buses with My Sister. Which is an interesting read because Rachel Simon is well acquainted intimate with special populations as her sister is mentally retarded.

No comments:

Post a Comment