Tuesday, April 30, 2024

Annual State of Autism at Our House

 We have reached the end of Autism Awareness Month.  I usually post a "State of Autism", with my son's permission.


My son turns 26 this year.  This seems so impossible to me.  

Adults with autism face different challenges.  I think overall my son is doing okay.  I almost feel like I am not doing enough for him in regard to services and perhaps I have failed him by moving to New Mexico.  New Mexico is a terrible state for people with disabilities.  I cannot think of one positive thing in that category.  

However, we persist.  He reenrolled with DVR, department of vocational rehabilitation. Hopefully that will result in some work. He would really like to work.  Meaningful work is important. I want to remind people that anything that involves government takes forever. He has a care coordinator through his Medicaid/Medicare, and she is helpful.


Cody still scooters all around the neighborhood. He can do that a lot more here.  We usually go to the local skate park on Sunday.  During the summer he actually melted his scooter wheels. 

Cody is an expert at most computer things. He continues to teach himself blender.  

Most importantly to me and those who live with him. Cody continues to work hard on improving his behavior especially when he becomes deregulated.  Cody is kind and considerate person, and I am not saying that just because I am his mom.  I feel lucky in this aspect. We all have ups and downs and generally we all get along.

I was looking at the pictures to add to this post and I realized how many places we have taken Cody in the last year - Giant Pistachio, White Sands, Lake Brantley, Brick Attack, Lincoln at Dark, Sitting Bull Falls, Carlsbad Caverns, Colorado. Taking him places is challenging so I am proud of us.

State of Autism 2023

State of Autism 2021

Parenting Neuro Diverse Adults


No comments:

Post a Comment