Monday, October 16, 2023

What I read October

 I am linking up with Modern Mrs. Darcy's Quick Lit.  Check out what everyone else is reading.

My month has been dominated by the book below.




Killers of the Flower Moon by David Gann

This is a narrative nonfiction book about the Osage Indian Tribe and the Reign of Terror and the birth of the FBI. During the Reign of Terror, 24 Osage were murdered by various means for their Headrights.  The Osage owned the mineral rights for property rich in oil. There was a giant conspiracy by non-Indians to kill them for their headrights. 


I learned a great deal about this event which I wasn't aware of.  David Gann does an excellent job of telling this story with accuracy.  I read this for a book club I belong to. This is definitely a book that needs to be discussed. 


Of course, there is movie that is coming out on the 20th of October. It is 3 1/2 hours long .


If you are interested in what is happening now with headrights as the Osage wish to get those back that aren't owned by natives. Check out the podcast below and also the Pioneer Woman Connection

In Trust

Pioneer Woman and the Osage Lands


I was lucky last night to attend an author talk with David Grann.  He is amazing and I understand why he picked this story to share.  


No comments:

Post a Comment