Saturday, June 3, 2023

52 Ancestors - Brick Wall


 I have written about various brick walls I have in my genealogy - Geneva Mae Wolfe

My current one is Jane Marie Devolt (Devault) Hoyt.  I do not know who her parents are. I actually know a bit about her teenage years through the census records(1850). I found a land bounty that I believe is for her brother, Abraham Johnson Devolt who died 1846 a causality in the Mexican American War.  The land bounty lists his only heirs as his brothers and sisters - Lewis, Jesse, Sarah Clifford, James Hiram, and Jane. George Virgin is listed as the Guardian of the infants (minors) James, Hiram, and Jane

These are facts below

In the 1850 census, Jane is found in the census living in the household of Kinsey and Eliza Virgin. (my 3rd great grandparents) in Ohio. This household is a mixture of relatives living together.  I cannot tie her to the Virgin household as a relative. Interesting her purported older brother Hiram Devault and older sister, Sarah Clifford, lived with another Virgin relative, George Virgin. Yes, the same George who died by mixing up his colic medicine and vermin poison. This same George who is listed as the guardian of in the Land bounty. Jane is listed as age 14 in the census.

1855 (July 5) married William Hoyt in Mason Illinois.

Jane's married life is fairly well documented in Census records.  Jane and William Hoyt had 7 children - 4 boys and 3 girls.

Jane died February 4, 1894, in Cass County, Iowa where she and her husband homesteaded.  She was only 55 years old. William Hoyt would live until 1898.

What I have researched

I have researched the various siblings all seem to have limited information if none at all. I have read the entire land bounty.  I do find it interesting the Virgin family connection but after much research I can't connect the Devault's )Devolt's to the Virgin's .  The lack of mother and father seem to be a common denominator. Other than the census records, there is no death certificate and she does not appear in the local newspaper that I can find. 





No comments:

Post a Comment