Friday, August 27, 2021

52 Ancestors - Tragedy

 



I am joining Amy Johnson Crow's 52 Ancestors Writing Challenge. The past week topic was tragedy.

I found a post it note to myself with ancestors labeled with "fatal mistakes".  (Doesn't everyone have a fatal mistake post it list) So this is not only a tale of tragedy but a fatal mistake. 

This tale of fatal mistakes comes from George Virgin (1797-1855) my mother's second great grand uncle. This tale was documented in "The History of Mason County (Ill)"  

It seems George kept his colic medicine on the mantle with other bottles, one of which was Poison for vermin. Getting up in the dark he took the wrong bottle and died a week later.

George died when he was 58. George grew up in Fayette County, Pennsylvania. George was born to Kinsey and Rachel Virgin. When George was about 15, the family moved to Sciotio, Ohio.  Kinsey Virgin, George's father died when George was just 17. He was married to Alcy Sikes. She would out live him dying at age  70. I haven't been able to prove if any children were born to this union.

I have a lot of questions

What was George's profession - farmer?

Did everyone store their vermin poison next to colic medicine?

This was so tragic it made the History of Mason County History book. I mean it was a tragedy. Is the only remarkable thing about George is how he died?

No comments:

Post a Comment