Thursday, February 15, 2018

Booking It - February



I am linking up to Modern Mrs Darcy's Quick Lit. Check out what everyone else is reading. My reads have been few and far between. 



The Major's Daughter by J.P. Francis

This book is set at Camp Stark a German Internment Camp located in New Hampshire.  The camp housed 150 captured German Afrika Korps . The prisoners worked as loggers bring out pulp for the Brown Paper Company

The story is fiction but Camp Stark did indeed exist. However, the characters in the book are all fiction. The story is about Collie the Major's daughter. The Major is the also the commander of the Camp Stark. Collie aids her father by being a translator. Collie finds herself falling  in love with  a imprisoned German Soldier. Overall, I enjoyed the book but I did find myself in the last 1/4 of the book jumping ahead to the ending.  But ever the rule follower, I ended up going back and reading the last 1/4 of the book. Many of us are aware of Japanese Internment Camps but few us realize that there were German Internment Work Camps in the United States during the war.  I loved the author's attention to detail and how they described how the US soldiers tried to show compassion and fairness to the imprisoned German Soldiers.  The history was fascinating to me.  I wish the story was a bit more compelling.


This was an enjoyable quick read.  I was once again taken in by the "Hot Picks" table at my library. My son is taking French this year in school and my husband's grandmother was French so I could relate a bit to that. It was interesting memoir and I liked the recipes interspersed throughout.

No comments:

Post a Comment