Monday, August 26, 2013

Booking It August

Check out what everyone else read at Life as Mom. This past month I read a couple books.  It was more quality than quantity.

I read Salt to Summit by Daniel Arnold.  It was a story about a hike through Death Valley to Mount Whitney.  The author discusses what he was thinking about as he crossed this vast landscape.  He weaves the history of Death Valley into his narrative.  It was a fascinating read.  The writing about the landscape makes you feel like you are right there.

I also picked up Mr. Penumbra's 24 Bookstore by Robin Sloan.  I don't know how this quirky book got on my list but I am glad it did.  This book kept me guessing and reading.

A gleeful and exhilarating tale of global conspiracy, complex code-breaking, high-tech data visualization, young love, rollicking adventure, and the secret to eternal life—mostly set in a hole-in-the-wall San Francisco bookstore.  (Amazon)

Lastly, I read Eighteen Acres by Nicolle Wallace.  Eighteen Acres refers to the 18 acres the White House sits on.  This totally fiction book follows 3 powerful woman in Washington including a woman President.  This book reminded me a lot of the TV series Scandal for some reason.  I thought it was a decent read.

No comments:

Post a Comment