Wednesday, May 19, 2010

Book it 2010 - May Update

I am joining the Book it 2010 linky party over at Life as a Mom. While I haven't made any progress this month on my Book it 2010 list. I have read a lot of books not on my list. Here is my book it update.

I our last book club book was Sarah's Key. We weren't able to secure enough copies through our library so we purchased the book at Costco. The book is about the round up of Paris Jews during WWII. This is a fictional story about a true event. Sarah's Key is a real tear jerker because it tells about a family being rounded up and the little boy being locked in a hidden cabinet by his sister, Sarah.. The rest of the family is taken but the little boy remains locked in the cabinet. The parallel story is of journalist who is researching 60th Anniversary of "Vel d' Hiv "and finds that there is a family connection to this story.

Everyone in our book club really thought this was a good read. I am happy to report all of us read the book. None of us really had heard of the Jew roundup in Paris. This hit home to me as my hubby's grandparents met in Paris during WWII. Pappy was a US soldier and his soon to be French wife worked in Paris during this time period.


This book also reminded me of the book My Enemy's Cradle by Sara Young also set during WWII but about mother's homes. It is about the Nazi Lebensborn program. A Lebenborn was a maternity home for girls carrying babies of German Soldiers. I read that last year


I also read another outstanding book about this time period but set in America in Seattle, Washington called The Hotel At the Corner of Bitter and Sweet by Jamie Ford. I read this earlier this year. This book deals with the wartime persecution of Japanese immigrants in the United States as seen through the eyes of a 12 year old Chinese boy who falls in love with a 12 year old Japanese girl.

1 comment:

  1. I love to read. Thanks for the book it 2010 link!

    Thanks for stopping by my blog, nice to meet you:)

    ReplyDelete