Tuesday, May 25, 2010

Do you have a PLAN?

Do you have a menu plan? I have seen numerous blog posts on this subject in the last week such as Carol's Cookbook and Life as Mom. There are whole linky parties devoted to Menu planning. So if you ever run out of ideas there is plenty of inspiration out there.

Yes, menu planning can save you money. I am definitely a fly by the seat of my pants menu planner. I browse the grocery ads on Sunday and grocery shop on Monday. I try to base my menu on what I have already stock piled and what is on sale. Things in my world work better when I know what I am making for dinner. I need to be pretty flexible. I fail a lot in the whole menu planning arena but sometimes you just got plan failures in to the plan. By failures I mean, I don't want to cook, I forget there is after school appointment, dinner doesn't turn out or I don't have all the ingredients on hand. I plan on having one of those once a week or so. The breakfast sandwich is my back up meal idea or my failure meal as I call it. I almost always have eggs on hand and bread. I can usually scrounge up a side of fruit or veggie. It is also a meal that my hubby likes to make and everyone will eat without complaint. I keep my plan all scribbled down in my handy dandy notebook. This is what this week looks like.

Mon - Hamburgers/potato salad/beans
Tue - Turkey Rope Sausage/macaroni/potato salad/beans
taco salad-(ground turkey)/corn
breakfast sandwich/fruit
Pizza/green salad
hot dogs/oven fries/fruit
chicken?( got a couple of fryers in the freezer) garlic mashed potatoes

Things I had to purchase this week that weren't in my pantry
Hot Dogs
Hot Dog Buns
Pizza Dough
Pepperoni
Pizza Sauce
Bag of Potatoes
milk

No comments:

Post a Comment