Sunday, October 5, 2008

Light in the Darkness


To blog about this or not that is the question. I try not do serious on this blog but I am becoming less and less of a fan of public schools. I had a "deja vu" conversation with my youngest son's kindy teacher about behavior and focus. It was eerily the same as one I had with #1 son's teacher about 7 years ago. Boy, I didn't handle that 1st conversation very well nor this time either. I was caught off guard. I have learned a lot since that first conversation involving #1 son and the topic of "focus". I am not wandering in the dark looking for the light switch. Hey, I have some perspective. Is that what experience brings? Right now I'm not in a rush to do anything. Four weeks of Kindy don't make my kid ADD. It means simply that he is adjusting and I am going to monitor the situation and see where the information takes me. That doesn't mean do nothing. It means supporting my child and trying to see what is adjustment, environment, or just temperament. In the past others have determined my course of action. They made me feel like I knew less about my child. I am unwilling to go where other's lead me. This is my kid and I know him inside and out. I am not in denial about his behavior but I need to put into context. If it is ADD, part of me asks "Why me?" Then the obvious answer is "Why not?" I have been down this path. I am seasoned. I know what to do. I know the strategies. For once, my oldest is the candle in the darkness lighting the path.

No comments:

Post a Comment