Wednesday, October 17, 2018

Trapped in Transition

This is my son's last year in the transition program at the local high school.  For those of you not in the know, a transition program is what local public schools offer for those 18-21 who are disable and provide services. Their high school diploma is held until they turn 21.

Today I go to my son's last IEP, individual education plan.  Today is actually the anniversary of my son's first evaluation back in 2002.  That is where it all started. I have been doing some reflecting or aka ruminating.  The very first IEP I ever attended for my son had at least 8 to 10 people at it.  The one today has 4 and that includes myself and my son. I have literally been to 20 IEPs.  Sometimes these were raw emotional exercises and other times I felt like the right thing was done.  There is no doubt in my mind that these inflicted trauma on my family.  Many times I was told indirectly my parenting wasn't good enough, my son was too much work, and many more times than I can count my son had to listen to how he wasn't enough. But yet we persisted. 

One thing I noticed recently as I apply for government services for my son the difference in the mentality  between schools and government.  Schools always think they can make kids more able.  They are all about progress. Government services only want to know how disabled someone is and have no desire to seek progress for them. If progress is made, participants are penalized often and frequently. Both of these approaches are horribly flawed.

No comments:

Post a Comment