Friday, October 19, 2018

Accidental Sweet Potato Growing

I had attempted to grow sweet potatoes in the past. I couldn't get anything to sprout.  However I left some sweet potatoes too long hanging out in a plastic bag and low and behold I have some sprouts.  I have heard it is near impossible to grow sweet potatoes here in the Pacific Northwest but I figured it was a sign when I had them growing on my counter.

I planted my slips (cuttings from sweet potato) in some containers on my deck.  In order to keep the soil warmer, I cut up ziploc bags and laid over the surface to help with heat retention.
Well, I was pleasantly surprised at my harvest.  I really wasn't sure if I would get anything. I got quite a few little ones.  I am going to mark this as a success.  Now I have to cure.  I have a couple of ideas. Sweet Potatoes have to be cured (heated up with humidity) so the starches turn into sugar. 

Helpful Links
10 tips
Growing Sweet Potatoes in Pacific Northwest
4 Simple Tips for Curing Sweet Potatoes
Growing Sweet Potatoes - Even in the North



No comments:

Post a Comment