Saturday, November 11, 2017

Veteran's Day 2017

To all those who served - Thank You
To all those who are serving - Thank You

I am a vet and my husband is a vet.  Both of our father's served during the Vietnam Era.  Both of our grandfather's served during World War II.  Both of of our grandfather's were in the Army.  My grandfather in the 160th Engineer Combat Battalion, C Company and his in the 341th Army Engineers.  My husband's grandfather is a living World War II veteran He turned 97 this year.

Here some words written by my Husband's grandfather about WWII

Invasion Day. I had to wait till the second day, crossing on landing craft because the first soldiers could clear the mines and "X" barriers before we could land our heavy equipment, trucks and jeeps.  All the engine wires were plastered wit good like play clay to keep the water out, and the exhaust were lengthen high above to prevent intake of water by 1 1/2 inches.  When we landed we had to remove all the goop.

Drove a Colonel around for a while. He was rally nice. Then they needed a cat skinner, and I got the job. When I climbed on the cat, a guy told me i wast he 7th one, the previous six had died.  So I told him, seven was my lucky number! And it was, I made it without a scratch from Normandy to Munich.

I would dig up dirt and fill all the coverts to cross then demolish them after the troops went through so the Germans couldn't use them. Once I was up on my perch clearing the road, and there were 3 tanks that had gotten stuck our side. I can see the two 88mm artillery shells as they went just over my head and  hi the hill behind me. Think the tanks were empty, I was surprised when all three turned their turrets toward the German artillery nest. Needless to say they didn't attack me again. when we went to see the damage, one gun was upside down and the other on its side.

No comments:

Post a Comment