Wednesday, September 8, 2010

Day 1 of the Strike

Today is the first day of the teacher strike in our district. I find myself without a plan. I muddle through the first part of the day. It seriously feels like groundhog day. I had PLANS. Yes, plans with a capital "P". I am finding it hard to change gears. I know I am terribly lucky to be a SAHM(stay at home mom) but I had certain expectations about the first day of school. We went to the library for inspiration. We met with friends at Mickey D's for lunch. I found out that I am not the only one in need of inspiration and plans. We all support our teachers but we need to keep our kids learning. At this moment it is frustrating because it seems everything is in limbo.

With some unplanned down time this afternoon for the two man wrecking crew, I decided to copy Baker's Dozen and check out this Lego Unit Study. It was all laid out for us by "Walking the Way". I simply downloaded the PDF and followed the links. We made Lego Denmark flags. We read about the inventor of Lego's. It was pretty fascinating. Hey, I learned something, too. Did you realize the original Lego's were made out of wood? #1 Son worked mainly on the activity sheets. We didn't make the taxi from the directions provided on the link. But rather #1 Son made an alien taxi and Chuckles a limo. Chuck and I had a spelling discussion about words Taxi and Limo. They seemed excited to do this. They are looking forward to Day 2 of Lego Unit Study the activities as it appears that tomorrow is a strike day, too. At least my kids are learning something.

***I was reminded too, that kids had certain expectations about school too. They are having a hard time wrapping their heads around the concept of what a strike is. We discussed what a contract is. Does anyone have some kind of suggestion how to discuss this with kids in terms they understand?

Lastly, I hated a little today. Sorry Lord. The Coach teaching the little girls to shriek during soccer . I had to say something. You are right up against my fence and you make more noise than the other 3 other teams practicing combined. Teach them to yell not shriek. SERIOUSLY. I am so use to the school noise but the SHRIEKING is wrong, wrong, wrong. Dear Soccer parent I know I live next to a school but technically I was there way before the school. You are playing next to some houses. Use some manners. I am sure your girls can engage in normal yelling. I am definitely(100%) they need no help in the Shriek department. Your team is practicing in the buffer zone between the school and my property and NOT a field. FIND A REAL FIELD!

No comments:

Post a Comment