Friday, November 16, 2007

Pertussis, Anyone

I have learned more about Pertussis (whooping cough) in the last few days than I care to know. Do you realize there is actually a website http://www.pertussis.com/. #1 one son was sent home on Thursday because he coughed so hard he threw up. This was a one time occurrence. On Wednesday, he had been to the doctor and the doctor listened to him cough and proclaimed it was a common cold virus. Basically, took my co-pay and sent me on my merry way. When I picked up my son at school on Thursday, I was greeted by the principal who wanted me to know about pertussis and that there had been a child 2 weeks ago who had whooping cough and suggested I call my doctor. I called the doctor and they reassured me that my son probably didn't have it but rather this nasty cough virus that was going around. Today, I got a call from the school nurse asking me about Cody and explaining Whooping cough and telling me again to speak to my doctor. At 5:30 tonight I got a call from the Public Health Nurse explaining whooping cough to me and going through the checklist of symptoms. The Public Health Nurse explained in great deal what Whooping Cough was and we agreed after two calls he probably doesn't have whooping cough. After all this , the main gist is we don't really know. To determine whether a child has whooping cough is inexact science but evidently you need one doctor to say no, a principal, and two nurses to say yes.

No comments:

Post a Comment