Monday, July 28, 2008

$100 grocery budget

There was a story on MSN that caused a lot chatter on various blogs about trying to feed a family of 4 on a $100 dollar grocery budget so I thought I would share some links. I use coupons and try to be frugal and I am ashamed to admit I have no idea what my monthly grocery bill is. I feed the two man wrecking crew and I can say they are eating me out of house and home. I think I am a pretty average shopper. We do eat out occasionally and I don't prepare every single item from scratch. I do cook more than I use to and I try to be healthy. There is definitely room for some improvement. The above mentioned article hit home with me as today is the first time in months, that I have actually purchased more than just dog food from COSTCO. COSTCO is quite a distance from our house so we don't shop there every week. We usually go once a month and mainly for dog food. We usually buy 2 to 3 bags at a time as it is the cheapest and what our dogs like to eat. Here are some opinions on the above article - just something more to think about.I was able to glean a few money saving ideas myself. Here are some worthwhile links to check outMoney Saving Mom, Baker's Dozen, Bachelder Family, 200 Dollar Mission. I am a big fan of the Fix, Freeze, Feast book about warehouse bulk cooking. This is only kind of bulk type cooking I do much of anymore. I have had the pleasure of hearing Lindsay Tkacksik speak to the MOPS (mothers of preschoolers) group.

No comments:

Post a Comment