Saturday, May 3, 2008

Things that fascinate me

As some of you know, there are just some things that are highly fascinating to me. Some are in the category of being fascinating and horrifying. The first belongs in the fascinating but horrified category is the Polygamist sect in Texas. I just finished reading the Under the Banner of Heaven by Jon Krakauer. The book was good. It explained basically the birth and history of Polygamy and the birth and history of the Mormon Church. Interesting it was the only book available for check out of the library on polygamy. Obviously, quite a lot of people are also secretly fascinated and visibly horrified by the polygamy situation. I am interested in reading the book Escape by Carolyn Jessup, too. I live right by a Church of Latter Day Saints. I realize that FLDS is the backwards stepchild of the Church of Latter Day Saints and 99.5% of mainstream Mormons don't even claim the FLDS and the church 100% disowns the FLDS. The whole situation in Texas is like a car wreck you just can't help but look at.
Secondly, I have found the Amish interesting, too. On our many trips to Ohio to visit my Grandma, we have seen the Amish. The way they conduct their life is interesting besides just their clothing and shunning of modern conveniences.
Lastly, I am fascinated by large families. I don't come from a large family and I really don't want a large family but the dynamics are interesting to me. I watch Jon and Kate plus 8 on TLC and I am in awe of their organization. I really like how real they are with each other. I attend MOPS with a lady that has 12+ kids and I am seriously in awe of her parenting, organization, and faith. Quite frankly, she scares me. The Duggar family is another interesting one too.

No comments:

Post a Comment