Saturday, December 30, 2023

Dead People Files Wrap Up


I am in the last quarter of my Dead Files project.  This has been a yearlong project I embarked on

I have started a new tradition of choosing a birthday project or a yearlong project. Last year was 50 sunsets and sunrises.  I decided this year to choose a genealogy project.  I am calling it the Dead People Files.  I have written my progress in red.

Goals

Research 13 ancestors and present that information on the blog. I will be using some of the 52 ancestors in 52-week writing prompts. Below is the start of the ancestors that I will for sure be researching.  I ended up researching 18 

   Lulu Pearl Howard Liston (Hoyt/Liston Tree) Complete- link

    John Lendman (Lendman) Complete - link

    Eliza Greene Perkins Doane (Hoyt/Liston ) Complete- link

    John Christian Brenneman (Hoyt/Liston) Complete - link

    Ida Shadwell Lendman (Lendman) Complete-link

    Charles Bourck Liston - link

    Hannah Hopkins - link

    Mary Carver Knight - link

    Abel Sutliff Jr -link

    Great Grandma's - link

    Joseph Colburn Pringey - link

    Cornelius Howard - link

    Jim Inhofe - link

    Abigail Overman Pike - link  

    Zaccheus Gould - link

    Frank R Lendman - link

    Barclay Mahlon Bond - link  

    Jane Marie Devault Hoyt - link  

    Samuel Mellor - link


Do a DNA test on myself - I am interested in learning more about this COMPLETE

Improve my genealogy research - I plan on reading some genealogy books that are from the required reading list from the BYU and Boston University Genealogy programs. I think a good goal would be at least 3 books. Below is what I had done at the half way point

I am actively searching for books on Quakers and the book below is one my library had. I have a bunch of Quakers in my tree. I hope that helps in my understanding of Quakers.

Did not reach this goal. Below are the books on my reading list.


Do one genealogy field trip? I think this might be open to interpretation COMPLETE

I attended an in-person genealogy conference and visited a local genealogy library. Link

Find a better way to share or present my genealogy research 

I still think the 52 ancestors in 52 weeks is a great way to research. I plan on continuing to do as many as I find interesting. I think this is a good way to learn and share.

write better genealogy stories.

See above. I do think when I add more details about the time period it is more interesting.  This goes back to being a good genealogist you need to be a good historian.  I do think project life scrapbook pages have a place in the story telling.

I have updated my 52 Ancestors Organization List - This has all the ancestors I have written about on this blog.

Scan more photos and become more proficient in this  

I did scan a few photos. I started following Krista K on Instagram and I really am ready to dive into this more. I think photos are a great part of writing the story.


No comments:

Post a Comment