Saturday, January 28, 2023

Dead People Files - Revolutionary Ancestors Part 1

 


I am reading a book called The Revolutionary Samuel Adams.  It got me to thinking about my revolutionary ancestors. On both sides of my tree, I have Revolutionary War Soldiers.  I wanted to talk about a Revolutionary Soldier from the Lendman side of my tree. I don't have many relatives on this side of the tree who weren't German Immigrants or Quakers. So, I was suprised to find a Revolutionary Soldier on this side of my tree.  Abel Sutliff Jr is my 7th Great Grandfather.

Abel Sutliff Jr 

Abel was born to Sarah Ford and Abel Sutliff on August 23, 1751, in Litchfield County, Connecticut.  Abel married Charity Barber on the 15th of November 1770 in Waterbury, Connecticut.  Abel would fight in the Revolutionary War.  Abel was a private, under Captain John Lewis, Jr. 4th Company, Col William Douglas' 5th Battalion, Brig General James Wadsworth's Brigade, 1776, Waterbury, Connecticut. The main battles that Abel participated in were The Battle of Long Island, also known as the Battle of Brooklyn - June 1776 and the Battle of White Plains October 1776.  Abel was discharged Dec 25, 1776.  Abel and Charity had 9 children. They had 3 sons and 6 daughters.  Abel died on May 15, 1799, in Huntington Mills, Pennsylvania, at the age of 47.



Grave Stone Inscription
In Memory of Abel Sutliff who departed this life May 15, 1799 in the 47th year of his life.

interesting fact
Huntington Mills, the town, was named after Samuel Huntington a signer of the Declaration of Independence.



No comments:

Post a Comment