Thursday, November 9, 2023

Dead Files - Genealogy Conference Field Trip


I was lucky enough to attend a local Genealogy Conference in Roswell NM put on by the Wilson-Cobb Genealogy Research Library last Saturday. The Speaker was John A Sellers - "The Magic of Rabbit Holes".  It was "Alice in the Wonderland" themed.



I was lucky enough to visit the Wilson-Cobb the day before and meet some of their lovely volunteers and explore their collection.  I thought the event was well attended and held at the Roswell Museum event space.  I think there as around 60 attendees.  I will say the average age was around 75 so I felt in the minority.  However, it was privilege to spend the whole day learning about genealogy with people as passionate about the subject as myself. I just love the stories. 

One thing that stood out to me was when John Sellers said, "To be a good genealogist, you must be a good historian." John Sellers is a wonderful and knowledgeable speaker.  He left me wanting to dig into some more records.

I was hesitant at first to attend. I literally only knew 3 people who I met the day before. I am glad I got out of my comfort zone. I signed up and committed without knowing anyone. Genealogy conferences can connect you to others and also spur on your own research. 

No comments:

Post a Comment