Saturday, September 2, 2023

52 Ancestors - Newest Discovery Another Quaker Minister

 I have been participating in Amy Crow Johnson's 52 ancestors in 52 weeks.  I had intended to share this last week, but I had a different new discovery that I shared.

Part of my family tree seems littered with women Quaker ministers. I have unearthed another one - Abigail Overman Pike.  She is my 8th Great Grandmother.  Abigail's ministry is quite well documented. 




A charter member of the Cane Creek Meeting and a recorded Quaker minister, she lived her Christian faith as she practiced her Quaker beliefs. The Pike home stood about two miles west. She and Rachel Wright were part of a delegation that traveled on horseback to Perquimans County to request the Quarterly Meeting's permission to establish a Monthly Meetings at Cane Creek. She traveled extensively to promote the growth of other Quaker Meetings and to represent Can Creek at various meetings. Can Creek relied on her judgement in many areas of the Meeting. She and John Pike married in 1731 and had 8 children. After John's death in 1774, she moved from the area and joined New Garden Meeting. She is buried at Muddy Creek burial ground. This marker made possible by the efforts of Can Creek quaker Men and Friends.

One of the stories I read is that she preached from horseback to the soldiers at army camps and wasn't allowed to dismount. Also surprising was the number of miles she traveled to preach and go to meetings. 

references

Quaker Woman See themselves in N.C. History

Wiki tree

No comments:

Post a Comment