Saturday, November 18, 2023

Fort Stanton

This past weekend for my Birthday, I wanted to visit Fort Stanton. I like to visit and explore new places. We had a busy fall so it was a good day to enjoy spending with my husband. I was exposed to Fort Stanton through a Ghost Adventures Season 2 episode 3.  



Prior to arriving at the fort, we stopped at the New Mexico States Veteran's Cemetery and Merchant Marine and Military Cemetary.  We visited on Veteran's Day.  We read a sign about putting coins on the graves. A penny means that you visited so I ran back to the car and got some coins.  We didn't understand at the time why there were so many Merchant Marine graves in southeast New Mexico. In 1899 a Merchant Marine hospital was established at Fort Stanton. 


Upon arriving at the fort, there was a fort docent in the courtyard/parade ground that asked if we wanted to help raise the flag.  We loved that he asked us as we are both veterans. The docent was also a veteran. It was truly a unique experience and honor. Since we both part of the flag detail. We didn't get a good picture.



More information about Fort Stanton - here



Catholic Chapel on Fort


No comments:

Post a Comment