Monday, February 15, 2021

Booking It February

 I am joining Modern Mrs Darcy's Quick Lit. Check out what everyone else is reading.


The Vanishing Half by Brit Bennett

This is probably a appropriate read in honor of black history month. I finally got my hands on a copy. It is an interesting story. 

The Vignes twins grew up inseparable in the ’60s in Mallard, Louisiana, a small town reserved for black residents with light skin. Stella and Desiree Vignes are tall and beautiful, and they dream of lives beyond the lynching of their father and housekeeping for white people, like their mother does. When they flee to New Orleans as teenagers, Stella discovers that she can pass as white, and so begins the fracture that will forever separate the twins. Stella disappears in California and continues to play the part of a white woman, keeping her past a secret from her husband and daughter. After leaving her abusive marriage, Desiree returns to Mallard with her daughter, Jude, who is “black as tar.” Jude, desperate to find a place where she fits in, goes to college in California and discovers she was searching not just for herself but for her mother’s sister. Told in flashbacks and alternating points of view, this novel asks what is personal identity, if not your past. A riveting and sympathetic story about the bonds of sisterhood and just how strong they are, even at their weakest. —Al Woodworth, Amazon Book Review

Walking - One Step at a Time by Erling Kagge

I probably wouldn't of picked this on my own but this was on Modern Mrs Darcy's read list last time. This book is part philosophical and the story of Erling 's own stories about his walks or his extreme walks. I really enjoyed it but I was trying to describe it to my friend and I feel like I fell short on describing it accurately. 


Why do we walk? Where do we walk from and what is our destination? We all have our own answers. Even if you and I walk next to each other, we can experience the walk differently. After having put my shoes on and let my thoughts wander, I am sure of one thing—to put one foot in front of the other is one of the most important things we do. - Erling Kagge


Atomic Love by Jennie Fields

This is a book about post World War II . There is atomic secrets, love, and spies. I thought this easy read book was good. I wasn't super fond of the ending but overall I enjoyed.

1 comment:

  1. Atomic Love looks interesting. I have Vanishing Half on my shelf...waiting....

    ReplyDelete