Tuesday, December 29, 2020

Genealogy Goals/Resolutions


The picture above is of my Grandma. I just had to share.

I love researching. I have had a couple goals or things I was actively researching in 2020. I did make some significant breakthroughs this year. These 3 things I am still actively researching and will probably still remain goals in 2021 in my genealogy research. Plus I am on a smaller quest for a photograph of a great great grandfather. Above all I will still be collecting the stories of my ancestors wherever I find them because that is what I find interesting. I do plan on participating in Amy Johnson Crow's 52 ancestors in 52 weeks when the prompts move me. The prompts are helpful in discovering or sharing stories I wouldn't normally.

One thing I was researching is Pappy's mother and any possible siblings for Pappy. I found his sister. He only briefly met her after the war. The only thing he could remember was she was married to a serviceman and had a beautiful baby daughter. I was able to find a name but quickly hit another brick wall.  The name I believe is La Vera Sandstrom born 1924? She is pretty much a ghost in my research only showing up in her mother's obituary and 1940 census she shows up granddaughter , Vera Groshong, at her maternal grandmother's house.

Secondly, I had found a relative with a criminal pass. Originally I was only to find out a few facts of the case. The relative was eventually exonerated. I have since found out the details of the case from various newspapers. It is more siliceous than first glance and details make me wish that I didn't know the details. I have mixed feelings about the discovery and I have more questions. I am not sure what to do with the information that I do know or if I should pursue more information. There is more information out there including a box of information from the Iowa governor's office. I am curious about the exoneration and there was another involved in the crime that was never prosecuted as far I can tell. I am not going to share the name here as the sensitive nature of the crime.

I also am still researching where in Germany exactly my Great Great Grandfather on my father's side came from. I have some newer information so I would like to go back through some ship manifests from a port I haven't checked specifically the Port of New Orleans.  I am going to put the name out here in case anyone else is researching this- John Lendman or John Landman 1839- 1914

Lastly, I would like to find a picture of my Great Great Grandfather James Mitchell (1841-1929) who served in the civil war and was captured. So many of my relatives are named after him. He was so revered. I do think a photo exists . It would be interesting to lay eyes on him. 

No comments:

Post a Comment