Monday, September 14, 2020

Booking It September Edition

I am linking up with Modern Mrs Darcy's Quick Lit. Check out what everyone else is reading.

Well, it has been an interesting reading month. I read two books at the opposite end of the spectrum. One was fiction and one was non fiction.

My not so secret guilty pleasure is the Twilight Series. I usually read this series once a year. So if you were a Twilight fan, Midnight Sun by Stephenie Meyer did not disappoint. It was interesting to hear Edward's side of the story.

I found Hidden Valley Road by Robert Kolker really interesting. The Galvin family lives on Hidden Valley Road. Hidden Valley Road is in Colorado Springs, Colorado. I grew up in Colorado so many of the references were to places I have been. The Galvin's are a large family with 12 kids. Of the 12 kids, six of the kids end up having schizophrenia. Because such a large amount of siblings have schizophrenia, their DNA is studied and assists in the research of schizophrenia. It is there story of their family but it also the story of how mental illness effects the whole family. There is a lot of discussion and examples of nature vs nurture. I love how the Galvin's story is interspersed with the research . There is such a long way to go in research of mental illness especially in the regards to schizophrenia.

No comments:

Post a Comment