Monday, June 17, 2024

What I Read June

 I am linking up to Modern Mrs Darcy. Check out what everyone else is reading. 

Everything I read this month made me cry.  Maybe I just cry easily.

Class by Stephanie Land


This is a follow up to her book Maid.  I think I have a bias. No, I know I have a bias. I would choose work over schooling especially if I had a young child.  I think Stephanie makes a point that most people have that bias.  I understand her choice from this book.  Should low-income people have to make that choice especially if we keep saying that higher paying jobs are made with higher education? Is higher education a right or a privilege? This was a thought-provoking book and Stephanie's story is amazing. I thought her professor said something interesting - quote below.




The Women by Kirsten Hannah

This was a book I was reading for book club. I don't think I have ever read any of her books without a box of Kleenex.  I have several personal connections to this book.  I served in the Army during Desert Storm, but I never saw combat.  One unit I belonged all the male soldiers went into the danger zones and the women were the administrative people who stayed behind.  I would get a lot of you couldn't have possibly served with them etc. A lot of my generation our dad's served in Vietnam.  My Dad served during the Vietnam era. I thought it was a good read.

Some of the comments from our book club discussion included how one person could endure so much trauma and was it exaggeration of the amount of trauma they incurred? We concluded from our discussion it wasn't. It is an eye-opening introduction to PTSD among women servicemembers and to just PTSD in general. A lot of people didn't like all the people coming back from the dead. Maybe that was all a little too convenient.


Crazy Rich Asians by Kevin Kwan

I read this book a while back and after watching the movie again on Netflix I decided to re-read.  It is a really fascinating book. However, there are a lot of characters.  I think watching the movie first is helpful while it isn't quite exactly true to the book it is close enough. The wedding scene in the movie is very magical. This is the first book in the trilogy.  You can't help but fall in love with Rachel and Nick.

old review

No comments:

Post a Comment