Friday, April 15, 2022

What I Read April

 I am linking up with Modern Mrs Darcy's Quick Lit. Check out what everyone else is reading!

I am a little light on titles this month.  It has been a busy one.


Learning in Public by Courtney E Martin

This book I found through Shannan Martin. This is about Courtney's choice to send her daughter to a poor performing neighboring school that was racial not integrated as in there are more people of color. Courtney is white.  Courtney lives in Oakland, CA where school choice is a thing. I found that Courtney spends the first part of this book just overthinking her decision and I understand it is a big decision.  I think a lot of us bring our bias to education - our choices about how our children are deeply personal.  It was an interesting book and helped me examine my own bias. Isn't that what a good book should do? This book was hard for me, but all in all it reinforced a few things for me. Children that come to school with involved parents are always going to do better whether the school is failing or not.  I have great admiration for Courtney because not only did she write about this, but she became active in her daughter's community to make the school parent leadership more actively representative of the student body and continues to be an activist.


No comments:

Post a Comment