Saturday, September 4, 2021

52 Ancestors - School


I am joining Amy Johnson Crow's 52 Ancestors writing project.

My Grandmother was a teacher.  She attended Iowa Teachers College. When she was at college her friends called her Listy. After college she taught Junior High School at Castana Consolidated School for the 1930-31 school year and 1931-1932 school year.  Castana Consolidated School was in Monona County in Iowa. In those days when you taught school, you lived with one of the families in the town where you taught. She lived with a couple who were both hearing and speech impaired. My Grandpa told about going to court Grandma and sitting in the parlor. Grandma knew how to sign, but Grandpa didn't. The family would sit in the parlor, signing back and forth with Grandma, and then look at Grandpa and laugh. Of course, he didn't know what they were saying. 


My Mom wrote the majority of the above paragraph I just added some little details. My Grandma made the local newspaper, Atlantic News Telegraph, when she accepted her teaching position. My Mom wanted to share the story with her grandson's. Thank you Mom.

No comments:

Post a Comment