Thursday, January 14, 2021

52 Ancestors - Beginning

 Beginning is the week one prompt for 52 Ancestors in 52 Weeks by Amy Johnson Crow.  I used the prompt to show how I got into genealogy.


I feel like I have been interested in genealogy since my early childhood. I was a lover of books and frequently spent many summers at my grandparents house browsing their bookshelf by the front door. They had a centennial book on Cumberland Iowa and I loved to look through that book.  I wanted to know who I was related to.  The book had biographies on the early pioneers and residents of Cumberland, Iowa. My Mom now has the book. Pictured above is the page my Great Grandfather Joseph Liston is on. Joseph Liston was a farmer then a custodian/janitor for Cumberland Public Schools for 19 years. His father was a Civil War Soldier. 

Picture above is Joseph Liston as a younger man.

IAGENWEB Project specific to Iowa is a great way to find history books on individual histories of counties etc.

I also have a unique maiden name. It is a German name that was Americanized that certainly added to my quest to find out who my ancestors were. 

No comments:

Post a Comment