Wednesday, December 15, 2021

What I Read December

 I am linking up with Modern Mrs Darcy's Quick Lit.  Check out what everyone has been reading.

Well I have an unusual title this month. I leaned on into the non fiction. Don't let it being non fiction scare you off. This non fiction book is a great read.



Truthfully I picked up this book off the hot reads table because my friend is a big fan of owls plus there were like 8 copies in a stack. I thought it must be a decent read if my library was willing to invest in that many copies.  This story follows Jonathan Slaght as he researches the fish owl. The fish owl is huge and elusive owl found in Russia along the sea of Japan and in Japan. The fish owl looks like a small bear with decorative feathers with a wing span of 6 feet and height of 2 feet. The owls like to nest in broken off trees that are hallow when they are nesting. Jonathan concentrates his research in eastern Russia .  There was so little research on the fish owl prior to Jonathan's research and one of the stories Jonathan found was how a hunter was bit in the testicles by a fish owl. I don't know why that tidbit hooked me. I enjoyed his story as he well as the colorful Russians he interacted with. There are some real characters. 


No comments:

Post a Comment