Sunday, December 26, 2021

52 Ancestors - Homemade

I have been participating in 52 Ancestors project . This is the last prompt of the year for me. I writing on the topic of Homemade.

My Grandma Bettie was an amazing talented seamstress and doll maker.  December 26th is her birthday so it only seems appropriate that in the month of December I write about her.

Bettie was born December 26, 1919 in Lancaster, Ohio.  She was the oldest of three children born to John and Eva.  My Grandmother never graduated from High School .  She didn't have enough money to pay for graduation - the dress etc. That always pained her as she had all the credits.  She married Frank in 1940.  Frank fought in World War II.  He carried the picture above in his wallet.  They had two children one being my father and another being a daughter. Bettie and Frank lived at Frank's parents house until his mother passed away. Bettie was known for her sewing skills. She also did crochet.   Below is a stocking I believe she made me.


She didn't work outside the home until her husband passed away in 1972.  She also didn't learn to drive until much later in her adult life. 

Bettie was extremely thrifty.  She was a saver as well. We lived far away so we didn't see her but during some of our summer months. Bettie flew several times to our house. She was a very nervous flier. She was at my wedding. 

She made me some amazing dolls and doll clothes. My Barbie's had the best clothes ever. I still have the china doll she made from a kit. Just the hands and head are made of china.

One Christmas I received a dancing doll. It was 4 feet tall. The doll was same height as I was. I called her Nancy.  When cabbage patch dolls were all the rage, she made my sister and I both one. In the picture below she also made the other dolls we were holding.

They were made from a kit. She also made very cool doll clothes. She made this dress this vintage doll is wearing in the picture below.


Bettie passed away in 2007. Bettie was 87. She had  2 children, 5 grandchildren and 16 great grandchildren at her death.


The above picture was taken in Loveland Colorado at the Sculpture Garden.


No comments:

Post a Comment