Sunday, August 15, 2021

What I Read August

I am linking up with the Modern Mrs Darcy's Quick Lit Linky. Check out what everyone else is reading.

 Well the library holds have become a trickle. I got some popular reads on my hold list. I guess it is to be expected. But then BAM everything seems to arrive at once. You can't win at the library hold game I guess.

Books are better with garden bouquets, right.


Revival Season by Monica West

I haven't ever been to a revival but this book is about a preacher's kid, Miriam,  and how they are traveling the revival circuit. She is told only men have the power to heal.  There is a lot to drill down into this book - domestic abuse, faith, healing, patriarch. There is an interesting story here. 


Share Your Stuff. I'll Go First

This book really left me wanting to get out a notebook and really journal. I think this is a book that will stick with me for a while. She covers a wide variety of questions to dive deeper with yourself and friends - Who are you?, Who was there?, What are you afraid of?, When did you belong? , What broke you? etc.


The Comfort Book by Matt Haig

When I first picked this up and thumbed through this. I wasn't overly impressed. Then I was going through some personal stuff and I picked this up. It was comforting to read these little stories and quotes. I felt uplifted. I think this would be a good book to give as a gift.  There were a couple that really resonated with me - Doors and Negative Capability. I liked this quote - "Curiosity and passion are the enemies of anxiety."  and the quote by Joy Harjo - " There is no poetry where there are no mistakes."


The Downstairs Girl by Stacey Lee

This book was one of Reese Witherspoon book picks. It is a YA book. The book is set in Atlanta in 1890 and Jo Kuan works as a lady's maid during the day and works at night as the Agony Column author Miss Sweetie. It was a decent read. 

No comments:

Post a Comment