Friday, May 7, 2021

52 Ancestors - Crime and Punishment


I am linking up with Amy Johnson Crow's 52 Ancestors in 52 weeks.

What do you do when you run across an ancestor has a criminal past?  I am currently researching a ancestor that is a bit closer on my tree. I think sometimes these can be sensitive subjects when talking with other relatives. I have decided to share a different story below.

So I have decided to tell you about my father's 1st cousin 4x removed - Franklin W Thornton. Franklin was a Post Master in Pasadena California who embezzled $760. Apparently he embezzled money to become a photographer. He then fled and was caught in Columbus Ohio. He served his time at San Quentin Prison California State Prison.




Franklin Thornton is the inmate on the far left. He was sentenced to 3 years of hard labor. He was jailed 0n 0ct 1899 and discharged in Feb 1902 according to find a grave. He lived for a few years in Los Angeles as a dry goods watchman and eventually ended up moving to Chicago Ill to live with his single daughter and he continued to work as a watchman.  Franklin died in 1928 in Pasadena California at the age of 72.

No comments:

Post a Comment