Monday, April 15, 2019

What I read April

I am linking up with Modern Mrs Darcy's Quick Lit. Please check out what everyone else is reading.


Maid by Stephanie Land

This book had quite a bit of buzz so I requested it from the library.  This is the story of Stephanie's life as a single mother working in the housecleaning business.  I think this would be a great book flight with the book Eviction.  Stephanie was never evicted but discusses many of the same issues of poverty and making a living as a single parent. I guess what is disheartening is the choices that people that live on the poverty line have to make - living conditions that aren't greatest and daycare options that no one should have to experience.  Sometimes getting public assistance is a full time job. This book stuck with me. It hit even closer as basically Stephanie lived in the same area that I currently reside - The Great Pacific Northwest/



The Gown by Jennifer Robson

This fictional account of making of Princess Elizabeth's now Queen Elizabeth wedding gown told from the prospective of the embroiders from Hartnell's and a granddaughter of one of the embroiders.  The book is set in 1947 just after the war. If you are a royal fan, this book is exceptional. I thought it was a great story based on a historical event.  I actually could not put this book down.

No comments:

Post a Comment