Friday, March 15, 2019

What I read March


I am linking up to Modern Mrs Darcy's Quick Lit.  Check out what everyone else has been reading this month.

Oh my this has been an intense reading month.  I have been deep into reading some great thought provoking non fiction.

Evicted: Poverty and Profit by Matthew Desmond

Matthew follows people evicted and the landlords that evict them.  The city he explores this in is Milwaukee but says this is common to all cities.  He explores how evictions don't only effect those that are evicted but the communities. Matthew also discusses who is profiting on evictions and why often times landlords make more money in the slums.  This is a really thought provoking book.

"America is supposed to be a place where you can better your your family, and your community. But this only possible if you have a stable home."

"Eviction is a cause, not just a condition of poverty."

At the end of the book he advocates for reform to the housing courts and a need for a universal voucher system.  For the past year, I have attended many housing meetings for my son..  I know first hand just how hard it is to find low income housing and housing situations for disabled people.  I am not usually an advocate for more government involvement but I think housing is an area that really could use more government intervention.  It is too easy for the private sector to abuse low income renters either by charging more, evicting more frequently, discrimination etc... I have written on my blog that providing housing can improve the outcomes for people suffering from mental illness. This book just reinforces my feelings about providing stable housing.

The Library Book by Susan Orlean

This book is about the Los Angeles Central Library fire and the history of the library as well.  I just found it fascinating how the hunt for the arsonist and the history of the library was intertwined. I am a self proclaimed library geek.  Going to the library is part of my DNA.  I borrow 98 percent of my reads from the library. I really enjoyed this book.

No comments:

Post a Comment