Monday, September 30, 2013

September Booking It

I am linking up with Life as Mom and the 2013 Booking It.

I read 52 Loaves - A Half -Baked Adventure by William Alexander.  William Alexander was also the author of The $64 Tomato.  I thought it was a wonderful book.  William baked a loaf of bread - peasant loaf once a week for the entire year.  He was after the perfect loaf but along the way discovered a lot about bread and himself.  I learned that flour has additives in order to prevent pellagra.  His quest also lead him to France to teach some monks to bake bread.  The book made me want to renew my interest in baking bread beyond my breadmaker.  It also reminded me of my favorite loaf of sourdough from a local bakery.

I fell victim to the Hot Picks shelf at the library once again.  I picked up Shelter by Frances Greenslade. It reminded me somewhat of  This Life is in Your Hands by Melissa Coleman.  It was about two sisters basically abandoned by their mother.  Some sensitive subjects are covered. It was set in Canada.  It was ok for me.

Lastly, I read the bonnet novel Leaving Lancaster by Kate Lloyd. I don't recommend it.  It was just a little too contrived.  I think there are better bonnet novels.

No comments:

Post a Comment