Monday, January 27, 2014

Booking it January 2014

I am linking up with Life as Mom and Booking It.  Check out what everyone else is reading.

Orange is the New Black by Piper Kerman has been on my list for a while.  I attempted to watch the Netflix series but it wasn't my cup of tea.  I did however like the book.  I think it was a good dialogue on what it looks like on the inside and whether prison is really rehabbing prisoners or not.  Piper makes some good observations about prisons and I have to say I agree with her. I liked that she set out to make the best of her situation and look at the positive side of her incarceration.  Her story is told with a lot of humor. We all have situations in our life that seem awful and we can make a choice on how we can deal with it. I think Piper made a point about that when she first entered prison she was sorry that she was putting her family and friends through this but prison actually brought home to her the magnitude of  her crime how the drugs she smuggled impacted others lives.

Matched by Ally Condie was recommended to me after I read the Hunger Games.  When I literally stumbled across it in the library, I checked it out. It is similar in nature to the Hunger Game Series and a young adult book.   I think I might have liked it a bit more than the Hunger Games. The first book in the series. was good and I had a hard time putting it down.  I read also read Crossed, 2nd in series.  It was OK but felt choppy to me.  Reached is the last book and I thought it was outstanding.

Lastly, I read Beautiful Ruins by Jess Walter.  I have this book on my "Books to Read for 2014".  This is one of these books that have many stories within the story.  Initially the book is set in Italy. I have mixed feelings about this book.  Though I have to say I kept reading it.  The characters are flawed and basically ruined their lives in different ways.  Because there are many stories going on here, it was a much slower read for me.

No comments:

Post a Comment