Monday, April 29, 2013

April Booking It


I am linking up with Life as Mom's Booking It.

I was inspired by an article, "Growing Forward," in Sunset Magazine/ April 2013 about Novella Carpenter.  Novella is an urban farmer in Oakland, CA.  I decided to read her book Farm City - The Education of an Urban Farmer.  Wow, Novella is a character and her book follows her journey into urban farming in the grittier part of Oakland where an abandoned lot becomes her farm. Throughout the book, I couldn't decide whether to cheer her on in her endeavors or just say this is all a little crazy. Living next to pigs may not make for the best neighbors.  I love that she dumpster dived for her pigs.  You have to admire the moxie.  I also love how she really drove home that we really don't appreciate how much hard work goes into our food.  This book has a lot of food for thought. I hope she comes out with her further adventures.

I also read Almost Somewhere by Suzanne Roberts about a 28 day adventure on the John Muir Trail in California.  This book is a similar read to books I have read about the Pacific Crest Trail.  The John Muir Trail does include some parts of the Pacific Crest Trail.  This was an OK read for me.  I did appreciate the girl power theme.  It just didn't speak to me as much as some others have. 

I have continued with the Call the Midwife series with Shadows of the Workhouse By Jennifer Worth.  I admit the first part made me cry like a baby. 

Lastly, I read The First Rule of Ten -A Tenzing Norbu Mystery by Gay Hendricks and Tinker Lindsay. It has been a while since I have read a decent mystery.  This fit the bill.  It is the 1st book in the series that follows a Buddhist Monk turned LAPD Detective turned Private Detective.  I liked it. 

No comments:

Post a Comment