Monday, September 12, 2011

September Booking It

Please stop by Life as Mom and check out what everyone is reading. I am a little late posting but here it is.

I am still reading travel/biography books. Castles in the Air by Judy Corbett is about the restoration of a crumbling castle in Wales called Gwydir Castle.  I thought it was a great true story.  This book is for anyone who has looked at a run down building and said I can fix that. I loved the adventures that Judy and her husband had in restoring this gem.

I also read an Alphabetical Life by Wendy Werris.Wendy Werris is the daughter of Sang Werris a staff writer for the Jackie Gleason show. It is a memoir of her life and adventures in the book Industry.  My favorite quote in the book is, "We never know what may happen when we pick up a book to read. The turning of a page might actually change the course of our existence. There is something miraculous about this. Truth strikes at the very hear of books and readers who turn themselves over with great trust to finding the essence of themselves."  What is so interesting is when she started in the book industry there were small bookstores. Wendy was there when the Barnes and Nobles and other mega book stores came about.

I picked up French by Heart by Rebecca Ramsey in the biography section. It is all about an American Family's Adventure in France. I really liked it. It was an easy read.  My Husband's Grandmother grew up in France. One of Rebecca's neighbors and friends in France is an older woman named Madame Mallet. At first, Rebecca is not friends with Madame Mallet because she always is criticizing Rebecca. Eventually Madame Mallet and Rebecca become friends. Madame Mallet reminds me so much of my Hubby's Nanna. Nanna was an opinionated  feisty lady,too . She is missed.

No comments:

Post a Comment